Sunday, June 26, 2011

Atlanta Growlers - Not a Sports Team


For the first time this summer, I was granted an entire weekend off instead of just a day. I feel as though this is akin to spotting a unicorn or a double rainbow, so I took today to visit my parents in Augusta. Upon arriving, I was told of a wonderful new (to me, at least) beverage option both in Augusta and Atlanta called the growler. What could be must better than having a 64oz glass jug that you can get filled and filled again with the on tap craft beer of your choice? In all honesty, not very much. 

The growler is a fabulous contraption that you can generally purchase for about five dollars and keep bringing back to your local brewery or growler station to be refilled at your leisure. The tops are heat sealed so you can take them home all legal like and most locations have between eight and sixteen beers that rotate in and out for your tasting pleasure. Here’s the breakdown on some places that you can find these treats, I’ll be making a couple trips out to the more Atlanta accessible locations as soon as I possibly can to give you some more up close and personal intel.

Sundrees Urban Market in Augusta
This is the first location I knew about, so if you’re ever down that direction, hit these guys up! Sundrees is an absolutely adorable little downtown bodega/grocery store that showcases local products like meats, pastries (from Southern Scratch - http://www.southernscratch.com/ -) and coffee (like the incomparable Buona Caffe - http://buonacaffe.com/ - that I drink every morning). They’ve recently started offering draft beer to go and I’m terribly curious to sample the Jah-va that mixes two of my favorite things, good coffee and fine beer.

http://www.sundreesurbanmarket.com/
930 Broad Street
Augusta, GA 30901
(706) 945-1310


Hop City – Craft Beer and Wine
To begin with, Hop City tweets with the hashtag #growlertown. I might be in love with that alone. On a similar note of joy, these kids boast sixteen rotating taps with a site that updates the beer selection on the regular. At the moment they’ve got a Victory Golden Monkey (which is one of my very favorites), but I’d love to sample the Great Divide Hercules Double IPA or the Coney Island Mermaid Pilsner.

http://hopcitybeer.com/
1000 Marietta Street #302
Atlanta, GA 30318
(404) 350-9998


Ale Yeah!
Ale Yeah! Is located in Decatur and is Georgia’s first strictly craft beer bottle shop (according to their facebook page).  What I like most about this place is the build your own 6 pack options and that they carry a lot of home brewing equipment if you’re feeling adventurous about creating your very own beverage.

http://www.aleyeahbeer.com/
906 W. College Ave
Decatur, GA 30030

It’s a beautiful thing, friends, to be given such a nice gift from our fine city. The only drawback to this system (if you can ever call it such a thing) is that you have to drink your beer pretty soon after opening it. Oh, the humanity. That just makes me all the more prone to sharing it with friends or just making some new ones. That’s just hospitality at its finest, I feel. This is not the dirty South, it’s now the thirsty South. Happy drinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment